Arcs of Triumph: 25.04 Draft Review

News/features on the European Baseball Alliance.
udlb58
Ex-GM

Arcs of Triumph: 25.04 Draft Review

Post by udlb58 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:05 pm

Being that I joined the league as the draft was just beginning, I didn’t have much time to really comb over the pool the way I like, this is a little less focused draft than one could typically expect from Paris in the future. Despite the short prep time, I still think the overall return is a good one for the Patriots. Here is my humble take on the picks.

3rd overall – CF Jean-Luc Lacaze ($375,000): I’m very high on the 18yo Frenchman. He has the potential to be a plus bat in center with good speed. He is somewhat limited in range, but should still have enough to be an everyday center fielder. The switch-hitter is better from the left side of the dish and really looks similar to 2025 breakout candidate Pancho Martinez.

11th overall – RF Gennaro Romanelli ($200,000): The best power bat left on the board, the Italian may have fallen due to signability concerns. It is true that the signing bonus is high (probably top 6 money in the EBA), but I’ll pay the price for a player with the potential to hit over 30 HR on a consistent basis. The glove is definitely a concern, and he may never pan out in right; but he has more than enough ability to be a quality left fielder, and if the bat develops, it is good enough for left. The other big knock is the fact that he’s a bat-first player and a righty, but I’m less concerned about that.

19th overall – P Doug Hulbert ($22,000): Really considered going with Granger here, but Hulbert is a little higher floor prospect in my opinion. Throws decently hard for a righty, but if he could hit the low 90s more consistently, he could be a real steal here. He already has 3 fairly developed pitches, great stamina, and decent control for a teenager.

27th overall – P Iwan Toxopeus ($22,000): Very excited to get this big (6’4” 205 lb) Belgian in the 4th round. He is another high floor starting pitching prospect. The 20yo is pretty well developed for his age, has three solid pitches already, good stamina, and already tops 90 mph regularly. He also has high intangibles and if he can develop a true out pitch, he could be a solid EBA starter.

35th overall – 3B Andrés Betancourt ($10,000): Undersized (5’10”), slow-footed 3B/LF type player. He does project to be able to hit for power, and has the patience to wait for his pitch. He will have to make contact more consistently if he is going to ever make a lasting impact in the EBA. Could be a good AAAA guy that can come up and fill in during injuries.

43rd overall – SS Brandon Massey (unsigned): Here is where my lack of prep time comes into effect. I like Massey’s defense a lot and think he could be a future utility player in the EBA, but he was always going to be a hard sign for Paris and it now appears he will be heading off to college.

51st overall – SS Lothar Verhoeve (n/a): The teenager has a decent batting eye and can run very well. Is inconsistent with his glove, doesn’t have great intangibles, and will need to improve at the plate if he is ever to make it above AA.

59th overall – P Frans van Ginderen (n/a): A lefty with a pulse. Can tickle 90 on the gun and scouts think he has the potential to have a plus change up and enough control. Never hurts to have a lefty in the system that could become something with one bounce.

67th overall – C Micah Vinter (n/a): 21yo organizational catcher. Has a good eye and solid defense, but needs to improve the bat to make any kind of impact.

75th overall – CF Clancy Grahamslaw (n/a): Athletic centerfielder/utility player with no bat. Will need to greatly improve at the plate to be anything more than a AAA utility player.

83rd overall – SS Jean-Michel Roux (n/a): Athletic utility player with no bat (though there is a glimmer if he can get one bump in contact). Has great intangibles, but is already 22 and may be close to maxing out his ability already.

91st overall – SS John Jewell (unsigned): Another oversight, this teen was never going to be signing with the Patriots.

99th overall – P Javier Prieto (n/a): Has great stamina and shows the ability for enough control, but will need to throw harder than the mid-upper 80s if he is going to have any kind of pro career.

107th overall – P Keith Tooley (n/a): Teenage lefty who throws in the mid 80s. He is huge though, at 6’5” so maybe there’s a bump in velocity coming???? (probably not)

115th overall – P Derek Volz (n/a): Teenage righty with barely a pulse left in his pro career.
Greenville Moonshiners/Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: 2026-Present
Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: (1251-1018); 2029, 2031, 2034-38 Div. Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

Return to “EBA League News/Features”