2024.Madrid.06 - Matadors Deal for Verkade

News/features on the European Baseball Alliance.
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

2024.Madrid.06 - Matadors Deal for Verkade

Post by RonCo » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:07 pm

Hours after receiving news that Moon Jetson had been lost in space, the Madrid Matadors announced the acquisition of 22-year-old second baseman Jeffrey "One Dog" Verkade from the London organization. Verkade was Madrid's first round pick in 2020, but did not sign. Then was London's first round selection the following season. He has had some success at the AAA level ever since, though struggled in a partial season at the EBA level as a 21-year-old.

"We think Jeffrey will be an immediate defensive upgrade," said general manager RonCo. Of course, a multi-tentacled jelly fish would probably also qualify as a defensive upgrade over Jetson. That said, Verkade has been a league average or better second baseman, and while his bat has scouts quarrelling, everyone agrees that his patience and plate discipline off the charts for a 22-year old. His .454 OBP is flavored with 126 walks in 117 games this season.

"Madrid?" Verkade, who has expressed displeasure at being blocked in the London organization, said when one of his teammates told him of the rumor. "Are you fucking punking me?" When he found out the rumors were true, and that the team expected him to start with the big club the next day, it is said he went straight to the airport and asked that his stuff be either burned or donated to the under-privileged--except for his favorite battery powered heating blanket, which he requested be mailed to him at the Matadors home address.

The cost, however, was fairly extreme. The Matadors gave up a budding star outfielder in 21-year-old Diego Colón--who was also a first-round selection in 2021, and who has 25-HR power and range enough to play center field.

"Diego is going to be fantastic," Collins said. "But we are on a vision quest this year, and Jeffrey will help get us there now."

In addition, the club announced that it had come to agreements to extend the contracts of LF Henry West, SP Shawn Abrams, and relivers Juan Ortiz and Ruairi Tarras
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Re: 2024.Madrid.06 - Matadors Deal for Verkade

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:23 pm

That's a trade I'd have made on both sides.

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: 2024.Madrid.06 - Matadors Deal for Verkade

Post by trmmilwwi » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:59 pm

I'll be watching to see how Verkade does in his new role. I wish him, and the Matadors, the best!
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “EBA League News/Features”