Moderator: RonCo

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

59.018 – Bikini Blastoff Preview – Catching

Post by RonCo » Thu May 09, 2024 11:55 am

Off Topic
Baseball Fever: Catch it?
The GM Talks Bikini Baseball

It’s probably not a state secret that I would have liked to improve our situation at the catcher slot. The main guys we have were and are workable, but it would have been nice to find a top-5 kind of guy, because top-5 catchers are worth their weight in gold. Of course, the problem is that we do not have that kind of gold just lying around. So we have to go with Plan B, which is more of the same, backed up with interesting guys who might help out.

The good news is that the “more of the same” might actually be better this year.

Let me use the profiles to talk about what I mean.
Off Topic
Pedro Jimenez (5/6/5/7/5/5) – I selected Pedro in the second round of the 2057 draft specifically because he was essentially ready to play now, and we were in dire needs of a catcher who could hit. We gave him 43 games in the minors that year, then called him up, and he did just fine. Defensively he was a mess, but he hit. Then a strange thing happened on the way to 2058. The bat seemed to shut off, but the glove got better. I’d hoped to accentuate that glove in the off-season, but it doesn’t seem to have worked too well…but Pedro’s basic glovework sits at an 8/8/ Blocking/Framing, and while I’d like the arm to get better, that will play.

The fans have kind of gotten on his case at times, but he’s 26.

He’s still got room to grow both offensively and defensively. With luck, we will see his bat rebound from last year. If it does, he’ll give us another weapon from the left side of the plate.

So I’m optimistic.
Off Topic
Manuel Hernandez (4/4/5/5/4/4) – We know Manuel isn’t going to hit much. We knew that when we Rule 5ed him over here from the Vegas organization. But his glove as a backup makes him really worthwhile. So right now I expect he’ll start an occasional game against lefties, and fill in as a defensive replacement in the late innings. Great guy to have around.
Off Topic
Mike Sullivan (5/4/7/6/4/5) – I’ve been a Mike Sullivan fan since my time in Sacramento, so when I saw him available on a minor league deal, it was a no brainer to pick him up. He’s got an interesting left-handed bat and a solid defensive standing. He talks a great game of baseball, too. We’ll let him get comfortable with the minors, but it seems like he needs a real shot sometime. Great injury insurance for if something happens to Pedro.
Off Topic
Mucip Yazicizade (5/5/5/5/4/5) – Another solid guy to have in the organization as a backup. I consider him and Sullivan to the RH/LH platoon system to support Jimenez and Hernandez.
Off Topic
Bob Gentle (5/5/5/5/5/4) – Bob is 23 and he’s been working on getting better since the previous regime drafted him back in 2054. He’s intriguing because he doubles as a pitcher, and because his defense has been coming in. Arguably his bat is already stronger than Manuel’s. The plan is to send him back to AAA or AA and let him see if he can bump the arm a notch, but he’s available in case we need him. It’s probably best for the team if we focus on him in 2060.
Off Topic
Hoyt Shiplack (4/3/4/4/6/7) – There’s another great name in BBA baseball, right? Hoyt has some big shoes to fill, and I’m sure it’s not fair to push him to be that kind of guy. But he’s got some pop and his glove looks like it should play in the league. He’s only 23, too, so I’d like to keep in down in the minors another season or two to see if he can find some better contact. Even a little more there makes him a bona fide big leaguer. His numbers (1.5 WAR) in half a year at AAA were pretty nice. The goal is mostly to get him plate appearances, though, and hope that contact gets better.
While we haven’t done much at the top of the organization, there’s reason to think that Pedro Jimenez will be stronger this year, particularly on the defensive side of things. And Manuel Hernandez is as steady a guy as ever.

As an organization, though, our real improvement at the catcher role has come in the form of depth. The past two seasons we’ve been crossing our fingers and praying for no injuries. For the first time since I’ve been here, we actually have a couple guys I think could step in and keep the wheels on.

I’ll keep looking at options for step improvements, but until the cash machine starts spitting out Benjamins by the bucketload, we’ll stick with the plan.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: 59.018 – Bikini Blastoff Preview – Catching

Post by BaseClogger » Thu May 09, 2024 4:08 pm

Dang, I’ve liked Sullivan too ever since we worked out that trade. He seems better than his OVR rating and I wish I’d signed him.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Bikini Krill”