59.011 – Worboys Selection Suggests Shift?

GM: Ron Collins

Moderator: RonCo

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

59.011 – Worboys Selection Suggests Shift?

Post by RonCo » Sat May 04, 2024 10:29 am

Off Topic
Krill Looking to the Hill for Thrills?

February 25, 2059: Forever Land – Amid rumors that the Bikini Krill would be breaking their mold and looking for pitching in this season’s draft, and with tensions in the club’s War Room running high, the team has announced that 6’3” starter Paul Worboys will be their first selection in the 2059 draft.

Worboys, a native Aussie from Newcastle, posted a 1.77 ERA in 45 innings pitching for his hometown Australian Junior College Kangaroos, striking out 54 and allowing only one homer. He’s known as a bit of a soft-tosser who gets by with outstanding command and control of three pitches.

“This is all very exciting,” Worboys said when contacted after the announcement. “I didn’t even know the Krill were interested. I love them on the barbee. I've got to go tell my mum. She'll be excited, too.”

GM Ron Collins was gently evasive about the club’s plans going forward. “I don’t hid the fact that I’m a guy who likes to draft for position before most everything else. And all you need to do is scan down the club’s prospect list to see that picthing prospects are as a premium for up. That said, I’m also of the old-school camp that says there’s not really such a thing as a pitching prospect. So many things can go wrong. So I’m not sure what to say when people ask what we’re going to do. I guess we’ll figure it out one step at a time.”

Insiders say the club is also concerned because Mahmut Binark, their top pitching prospect for several years, continues to show a lack of progress that confirms Collins’s views on pitching prospects. They point to several factors that likely led the club to focus on Worboys—the first being that at 18 years old, the right-hander seems considerably well developed. Some pundits are suggesting he could start his professional career as high as the club’s AA squad in Kamloops. In addition, with finances in some question moving into this new era of fan interest waning, signability was a major concern. While no one knows what the pitcher was asking, Worboys is known to be less than adequate in the classroom and quite interested in becoming paid for pitching instead. This likely adds up to an easy signing. Slot for the draft position is something over $4M. That sounds like a number a guy like Worboys might appreciate.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: 59.011 – Worboys Selection Suggests Shift?

Post by BaseClogger » Sat May 04, 2024 7:17 pm

I’m mostly lukewarm but that excellent control is a good starting point for a pitching prospect. I wish he had one more pitch, even if mediocre.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 59.011 – Worboys Selection Suggests Shift?

Post by RonCo » Sat May 04, 2024 7:42 pm

Probably not on the path to the Hall of Fame without some serious work. :)
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Bikini Krill”