Birmingham Done Dealing, Ready For Season

GM: Tim Meseck

Moderator: trmmilwwi

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Birmingham Done Dealing, Ready For Season

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:43 am

The Birmingham Bandits needed a few things coming into the 1996 season. Among their wish list: a more complete bullpen, a better shortstop, depth at outfield and infield, more cap flexibility and a larger prospect base. With the Rule V draft and two preseason moves, Birmingham accomplished all of those goals. Birmingham was able to split Hi Brown into Rob Dibble to solidify the pen, Lem Galarraga to provide depth and veteran leadership in the outfield, and three prospects. Today, Birmingham cemented their shortstop position by acquiring Jack "Space Assassin" Dark from New Orleans for a relief prospect.

"We're proud to say that we now feel we have a complete team, and we didn't have that last year," said GM Aaron Weiner. "The sky's the limit in Birmingham this year."

"I'm proud to be part of the Birmingham franchise and I'm really thrilled to be off the sinking ship in New Orleans," said Dark. "I'll go out there and do my best every single day."

Dark is not expected to set the world on fire in Birmingham but replaces John Carver and I. P. Daly, considerably less reliable players at shortstop, without downgrading defense. Daly and Carver will both stay in the majors and provide solid pinch-hitting and late-inning defensive replacements. As for the other moves, Dibble immediately steps into the closer role, while Galarraga has taken a starting lineup spot and given the Bandits a wealth of outfield depth.

Dark, like the other three players Birmingham has acquired this offseason, is a pending free agent. Birmingham, which already stood to gain back a great deal of cap space next season, will now have an estimated $42 million in cap space going into next season, which should allow them to actively pursue free agents, and likely try to sign Dibble to a new contract.

Finally, Birmingham has upgraded their minor league roster this offseason. Despite dealing away promising minor league reliever Bill Sellers, the Bandits have acquired top 100 prospect Cleo Blanco (currently #77 on the Baseball America list) and outfield prospect Douglas "Doogie" Howser, who is also serving as the Monroe Gigolos team trainer.

Birmingham last year finished 83-79, and while a winning record has served to keep the fan interest high in Birmingham, it's making the playoffs that will keep a high interest. Birmingham wants to settle for nothing less than the promised land this season.

"We're ready, able and willing to go out and kick some butt," said Birmingham manager Lou Brown. "We're all looking forward to the season and we're thrilled with the job that management's done to help the franchise."

mad0die
Ex-GM

Re: Birmingham Done Dealing, Ready For Season

Post by mad0die » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:26 am

I really struggled against BIR last season despite winning the division. Hopefully that changes!

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:32 am

I definitely agree. I hope you don't win the division also. ;)

lynchy34
Ex-GM

Post by lynchy34 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:03 am

The Bandits led the FLM for much of the season before just falling apart in the second half. Adding Dark and Dibble should definitely help the cause.
Frick League Champions - '95, '98, '00
Frick Midwest Champions - '98
General Manager of the Year - '98

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:13 am

I can't imagine I won't at least be competitive. I've got four very good starting pitchers at the top of the rotation and lots of quality fifth starter candidates, and everyone in the lineup hits for contact and hits homers.

We're not gonna draw a lot of walks but we ought to be pretty darn competitive.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “San Antonio Outlaws”