Co-GM: Bob Breum
Co-GM: Erik Breum

Moderators: breum, Bob Breum

JohnC
Ex-GM

Blazers Strike Out at Deadline

Post by JohnC » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:36 am

Montreal

The struggling Blazers failed to add anybody at the deadline as the team continues to free fall down the standings. "We had a couple of discussions with some other clubs that bordered on absurd", said Blazers GM Callahan. "I think there were some GM's out there that were confused by what they wanted, and what they valued their own players", he added. The Blazers have one of the weakest minor league systems in the MBWBA largely due to the fact that they have traded away most of their prospects over the last few seasons in order to add ML talent. It is believed that the team refused to part with their top prospect SP Jason Brooks in any deal unless it was a top flight player as the club tries to restock the cupboard.

Montreal has managed a brutal record of 4-10 over their last 14 games. Word around the press box yesterday was that the team would be blown up at the end of the season if things didn't improve. A rumor that the GM didn't deny. "We don't want to be a club that finishes close to .500 and fails to have any post season success", said Callahan. If that indeed does happen it will be an interesting winter in Montreal as the club has many high profile players that could be on the move.

Stay tuned for more as the Blazers continue to burn out...

Richard Head
Montreal Times
Montreal Blazers 2002 - present
Atlantic Div Champs '02,'05,'06,'11,'12,'13,'14,'19,'21,'27,'30'33
Wild Card '04,'10,'20,'28,'29,'31,'32,'34

John Callahan
GM: Montreal Blazers
Email: doghares@hotmail.com

7teen
BBA GM

Re: Blazers Strike Out at Deadline

Post by 7teen » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:05 pm

I felt the demands for some players were high in the past. I may have overpaid for Brochthrup and Carroll this year, but felt it wasn't an absurd price I paid. Plus, most of the prospects I paid were blocked within the organization.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

cheekimonk
BBA GM

Post by cheekimonk » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:19 pm

There was an abnormally large number of sellers this year. Normally that would suppress prices, but if the number of transactions was low - and it was - then the premium players become even more premium. So not only was it impossible to move guys like Andy Nebraska and Joseph Guillen, but the guys they are being eclipsed by - guys like Brochthrup and Carroll - have their price shoot up out of comparison.
Ben Teague, GM Boise Spuds
2834-3334, .459 PCT (6,168 games, 47 seasons)
12 Playoff Appearances, 1 Championship, 2 GM of the Year

Former BBA GM: Many (Monty Brewster Memorial Series champion: 1997)
Former GBC GM: Jerusalem, Buenos Aires

Boise Home Page (roster, prospects, etc.)

jumpmancol
Ex-GM

Post by jumpmancol » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:28 pm

I thought from a talent perspective, it was pretty spot-on for what it should have been. I know I have made several deals in the past where I have come away with a bigger haul than I got this time, so I definitely don't think I or anyone else was over-reaching with our asks, but I do think the general feeling among the league has shifted to one where almost EVERYONE values prospects more than established players. The reality is that in the pros, it is quite often that you will see several prospects traded for an older star. If you happen to be a younger player (under 32), than the haul is even higher. Just look at what the Rays got for Matt Garza, or the Red Sox gave up for Beckett. You have to pay for certainty, and that usually means multiple prospects. I just think we've reached the stage in the league where deals like that are now considered over-board simply by the way we value the players involved. Some GM's can take advantage of this, but I think the quality of the GM's in this league results in largely even deals.

Just my $0.02...
Jon Robinson
AIM: jumpmancol - Twitter: jonootp

cheekimonk
BBA GM

Post by cheekimonk » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:03 pm

Since I was forced to deal within the division, I would have preferred to spread the wealth, but I think you needed a pitcher and Nebraska was signed for too long. Matt's got a good window, but it's not a huge window. Plus, somehow all 3 of us had our "all-in" moments. I emptied my farm before '03, yours was emptied sometime before, and Buffalo has a solid SP prospect and the centerfielder (Henderson?). I don't know if I'd cash in if you miss the playoffs this year...maybe after 2005. It's basically down to a game of chicken between you guys and Buffalo to see who panics first about the future.
Ben Teague, GM Boise Spuds
2834-3334, .459 PCT (6,168 games, 47 seasons)
12 Playoff Appearances, 1 Championship, 2 GM of the Year

Former BBA GM: Many (Monty Brewster Memorial Series champion: 1997)
Former GBC GM: Jerusalem, Buenos Aires

Boise Home Page (roster, prospects, etc.)

JohnC
Ex-GM

Post by JohnC » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:47 pm

I don't disagree with either of you. When you have assets to deal, why not ask a high price? I would have done the exact same thing. I certainly wasn't complaining. Just blowing off some steam..

When to "bow up" a team is always a tricky thing. If you wait to long then you may suffer some bumps to some of the older guys you want to move. If you move them to early it can also bite you in the ass. We'll see. This team just seems to find ways to lose series to teams we shouldn't lose to. Seem to underachieve INMHO.
Montreal Blazers 2002 - present
Atlantic Div Champs '02,'05,'06,'11,'12,'13,'14,'19,'21,'27,'30'33
Wild Card '04,'10,'20,'28,'29,'31,'32,'34

John Callahan
GM: Montreal Blazers
Email: doghares@hotmail.com

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:03 am

jumpmancol wrote:I thought from a talent perspective, it was pretty spot-on for what it should have been. I know I have made several deals in the past where I have come away with a bigger haul than I got this time, so I definitely don't think I or anyone else was over-reaching with our asks, but I do think the general feeling among the league has shifted to one where almost EVERYONE values prospects more than established players. The reality is that in the pros, it is quite often that you will see several prospects traded for an older star. If you happen to be a younger player (under 32), than the haul is even higher. Just look at what the Rays got for Matt Garza, or the Red Sox gave up for Beckett. You have to pay for certainty, and that usually means multiple prospects. I just think we've reached the stage in the league where deals like that are now considered over-board simply by the way we value the players involved. Some GM's can take advantage of this, but I think the quality of the GM's in this league results in largely even deals.

Just my $0.02...
I was actually slightly shocked at your initial trade demand for Brochthrup. I expected it to be a lot higher. Personally, I felt I gave up mre for Carroll than for Brochthrup. Everything suggests that the price for top pitching has been insanely high in the league. I felt our deal worked out well for both of us. Not often a big trade happens here where no one complains about the trade as being lopsided.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

mrbornac
Ex-GM

Post by mrbornac » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:47 am

I would say don't fret. I am pretty surprised by Buffalo's emergence this season. Not shocked mind you, but pleasantly suprised. I felt I had some good pieces the past few years, and that I was building a farm system for 2006 and beyond. It was basically empty when I took the team over starting 2002.

It feels to me like the FLA is a revolving door right now. Had Ben not had his titanic disaster this season, I would have expected the Kracken to succeed here this season, but as we all know, things changed, and now, my team is clicking a little bit.
General Manager
Buffalo Bison : 2002 - ?
Record 1,496 - 1,582 .486 (The wheels came off)
Twitter: @mbba_Bison

2017 Landis Memorial Champions
2017 Frick League Champion
2017, 2016, 2007, 2004 FLA Winner
2014, 2017 Frick League Wild Card Winner

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Post by Fat Nige » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:21 pm

It will take me a while to clear out the large amount of deadwood but hopefully by the end of the decade the Gamblers will be challenging the FLA
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Montreal Blazers”