Co-GM: Bob Breum
Co-GM: Erik Breum

Moderators: breum, Bob Breum

wualumni
Ex-GM

Blazers Beacon - Issue #1 - 1998

Post by wualumni » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:40 pm

MONTREAL (AP)
New GM Jason Martin announced his first true signing today in OF Ali Mowbray. "Ali brings us an outstanding defensive outfielder with a good history swinging the bat that we think will be an asset to our team. He also is still young at the age of 29 and we think with the opportunity to play full time again Ali will be a solid fixture in the lineup" stated Martin.

Martin also pointed out that this is the first step in strengthening the team's defense which lends to his philosophy of great defense and pitching wins games, "As I stated in my press conference, a great defense and solid pitching will always keep you in games, and signing Ali definitely strengthens our defense."

There were several other signings during the off-season that took place before Martin was in control of the decision making including MR Daniel Gassaway, 3B Denny White, 1B Danny Mantle, C Glen Linehan, 2B Ed Miller, MR John Hoggan, &OF Mike Greenwell.

They also traded for OF Jacinto Fernandez and OF Edwin Dussault.

Of the players listed above Glen Linehan will be placed into the starting catcher's role where Montreal had a league worst .193 batting average there last season. OF Edwin Dussault will be given the chance to play after hitting over .400 last season in AAA for Las Vegas.
Jason Martin
GM: California Crusaders, MBWBA
Twitter: MBWBA_Crusaders

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Re: Blazers Beacon - Issue #1 - 1998

Post by scottsdale_joe » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:40 pm

Mowbry sure is a solid fielder at the corner outfield positions.
We'll see if he hits.

Lineham will definitely improve your offense behind the plate but he does nothing for your "good fielding" policy.

Good luck with all those guys.
Great to have you on board.
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

wualumni
Ex-GM

Post by wualumni » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:24 pm

Yeah I know about Linehan's average defense behind the plate, but our production was so bad from that position last year I had to do something.
Jason Martin
GM: California Crusaders, MBWBA
Twitter: MBWBA_Crusaders

lynchy34
Ex-GM

Post by lynchy34 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:35 am

wualumni wrote:Yeah I know about Linehan's average defense behind the plate, but our production was so bad from that position last year I had to do something.
While OOTP11 does a great job making defense a really big deal, I still think that catcher defense is ultimately pretty random. That's the one position I think someone can punt for a big bat.
Frick League Champions - '95, '98, '00
Frick Midwest Champions - '98
General Manager of the Year - '98

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Montreal Blazers”