2059.08: Rummaging Bears - Infielders

GM: Kurt Imber

Moderator: BaseClogger

BaseClogger
BBA GM

2059.08: Rummaging Bears - Infielders

Post by BaseClogger » Tue May 07, 2024 8:49 pm

3/7/2059

As they rummage a campsite some Bears find picnic baskets while others are shooed away.

Sure-Fire Locks
1B Michael Schultz, 2B Dick Walton, 3B Roberto Rivera, SS Kevin Corbett

Michael Schultz returns to first base for his age 25 season and will attempt to build on his 41 home run, injury-shortened 2058 season. A rapidly declining—at least defensively—Dick Walton will play second base until he gets hurt. Steady Roberto Rivera will play the final guaranteed year of the 5/$61.5M contract he signed prior to 2057. Lastly, shortstop duties fall to Kevin Corbett. I’d be more comfortable with him coming off the bench, but I didn’t see any upgrades available after Sammy McNeill signed with Portland. I could do worse, as Corbett is average defensively and projects to be worth about 1.5 WAR.

Near Locks
2B Takeichi Suzuki

In all likelihood the right-handed hitting Walton will have to share the keystone with lefty Takeichi Suzuki. Suzuki held his own with a .295/.328/.424 batting line as a 22 year-old rookie. He’ll need to increase his walk rate and apply the improvements he gained from his off-season baserunning program to solidify himself as a primary player.

Trying to Break-In
SS Kensaku Kato, 3B José Pérez

Kato and Perez are two more infielders coming off their rookie campaigns in San Fernando. We could carry one, both, or neither depending on how the outfield shakes out. Kato is my only other legitimate shortstop ready for the majors in the Bears system, although he’s best suited for second base. The 24-year-old has the offensive tools to make a jump up close to league average. Perez got a chance to play on both sides of the infield in 2058 and struggled, batting .207/.278/.287. He’s more than likely stuck at AAA Brooks unless Rivera gets injured.

Breaking in the Back Door
1B Cristobal Cruz, 2B Yong-hun Kim

There are several other infielders still in San Fernando’s spring camp but only two are drawing serious consideration to make the Opening Day roster. 23 year-old first base prospect Cristobal Cruz lead the AAA Brooks offense in 2058 by batting .293/.384/.481. He could be an option to platoon with designated hitter Don Moore. The other is the 24 year-old Kim. His tools don’t jump out at you but he’s had high batting averages in the minors ever since he left rookie ball, including batting .324/.376/.404 in 2058. Injuries to the wrecked Walton and one other middle infielder could get him a look at second base.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Return to “San Fernando Bears”