2057.09: Rummaging Bears - Starting Pitchers

GM: Kurt Imber

Moderator: BaseClogger

BaseClogger
BBA GM

2057.09: Rummaging Bears - Starting Pitchers

Post by BaseClogger » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:12 pm

3/29/2057

As they rummage a campsite some Bears find picnic baskets while others are shooed away.

Sure-Fire Locks
SP Arnold Cantrell, SP Dan Small, SP Alexander Swanson

Arnold Cantrell sits on the injured list today but will be ready to go on Opening Day. He was given a huge contract over the offseason to give San Fernando a legit ace and take some pressure off the rest of the starters. The Bears had hopes Dan Small would be their ace for several years when he was given a similarly large contract before the 2053 season. At this point, we just hope he can stay healthy, eat innings, and keep the opposition off balance thanks to throwing with his left hand. Alexander Swanson was the de facto ace last year thanks to his 3.60 ERA and ability to efficiently chew up innings. We tried to avoid leaning on him too heavily in a lost season as a 24 year-old, but those bets are off in 2057. I’m hoping his stuff can take a slight step forward.

Near Locks
SP Fernando Ferretti

Ferretti’s 5.68 ERA last season looks ugly, but don’t sleep on his peripherals. He has some of the best control in the league, which is something I really value from my back-end starting pitchers. Another factor working in his favor is that he’s out of options.

Trying to Break-In
SP Candrata Parmar, P Richard Bullock

Both of these pitchers are left-handed and have a history of throwing out of the bullpen. The most likely outcome is that Parmar snags the rotation spot since he hasn’t been given a full opportunity to make it in the BBA as a starter while Bullock works as a swingman until someone else falters.

Breaking in the Back Door
SP Keith Mays, SP Morris Chapa, P Perry Wallace

Mays and Chapa are both top 100 prospects who have already racked up quite a few innings in AAA. They both have options so will start the year in AAA but be among the first guys the Bears call upon if there are injuries. The concerns with Mays are simply production—his makeup has seemingly held him back from living up to his ratings on the field. For Chapa, he’s got the movement-control-groundball profile I cherish but the stuff hasn’t developed to a point where I have faith he can be an effective BBA starter. Perry Wallace always had ratings that screamed future reliever but he had some great seasons as a starter before a serious shoulder injury. He'll continue to give me starting pitcher depth but his stuff plays up to a 13 rating as a reliever so it will be difficult to resist. He's also got an option remaining.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Return to “San Fernando Bears”