Tropics News 2057.07

GM: James Walker

Moderator: Jwalk100

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Tropics News 2057.07

Post by Jwalk100 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:42 pm

The Tropics return home to host the Omaha Cyclones in a four-games series.

Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 5.32.58 PM.png

Game 1- The Tropics and Cyclones pitchers were putting up zeroes for much of the game. Hawaii finally broke the stalemate with a double by Angelo Lucchesi and an RBI single by Thomas Kramer. The Cyclones answered with a run off Trops reliever Luis Perez in the top of the 8th.

The bats for both teams were quiet until the bottom of the 12th inning. Tommy Kramer drew a leadoff walk that brought catcher Katsumi Matsumoto to the plate. He took a pitch for strike one then launched the second pitch to left field for a walk-off two-run homer.

Juan Martinez earned the win with a clean 2/3 of an innings. He is 1-0 and hasn’t allowed this season so far. Elvin Hilliard put the train back on the rails as he threw 6.1 scoreless innings. He allowed just one hit, walked three and fanned six batters.

Hawaii wins 3-1.

Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 5.33.16 PM.png

Game 2- The Cyclones and Tropics have another pitcher’s duel with Omaha coming out on top and evening the series. The Trops managed just four hits on the day and none after the 6th inning. Hawaii 3B Mitch Wareham hit a one out single then scored from first on a double by Carlos Sanchez down the third base line.

Hawaii started Phil Thompson on a pitch count. He pitched 3.1 innings allowing two runs on four hits with three Ks. He took the loss and falls to 0-1 with a 2.45 ERA. Semih Gurani took control of his splitter and threw 1.2 scoreless innings. He gave up a hit and walked a batter while fanning two.

Omaha wins 3-1.

Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 5.33.35 PM.png

Game 3- The Omaha bats came to life and scored at least a run against each pitcher the Tropics threw at them. It began with John Moore taking the biggest beating as he gave up five runs on five hits and three walks in 2.2 innings. He falls to 0-2 with a 15.19 ERA. Gurani made another appearance and gave up a run on three hits with two Ks in 2.1 innings of relief.

Tommy Kramer continues to be a thorn in the side of Omaha pitching with another hit and scored a run. He scored on a two-run homer by Will Patterson in the 7th inning after the game was well out of hand.

Omaha wins 9-2.

Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 5.33.53 PM.png

Game 4- The Hawaii Tropics score five runs in the 3rd inning to get the early lead. They would need those runs as the bullpen almost gave up the game late but survive to get a series split. Hawaii DH Tomas Borges hit his 1st homer as a Tropic with a three-run homer in the five run 3rd. Will Patterson and Frank McMillan each drove in a run with singles.

Utbah ‘Crawdad Me’ bin Muta made the start for Hawaii going 4.2 innings allowing a run on four hits and three walks with a K.

Hawaii Pitching Coach Tony Torres said, “Crawdad has that side arm action that is better suited to a reliever but he has three good pitches and maybe a developing changeup. We would like to see what it can lead to. If he struggles too much he may be moved to the ‘pen.”

Bill Ritz earned the win after pitching 1.1 scoreless innings with two Ks. He is 1-0 with a 2.08 ERA. Luis Perez was wild as he allowed two runs on three hits in his two innings of work. Troy ‘Teddy Bear’ Reynolds earned his 1st save of the season as he struck out the side.

The Teddy Bear said, “I must admit. I was pissed when they told me I was gonna be a reliever. But if I can do this, we may have a chance to win.”

“Only if the offense gets some consistency.”, snapped Hawaii GM Jim Walker from the back of the room.

Hawaii wins 5-3.

The Tropics and Cyclones split the four-game series.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Hawaii Tropics”