Moderator: shoeless.db

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

55.019 – Having “The Talk”

Post by RonCo » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:58 am

Off Topic

A Different Discussion with the Manager

July 14, 2055

Twenty-year-old Juan Vera walks into Fernando Pacheco’s office, his manager. You can tell he’d not feeling so good. A conversation with the boss is always filled with anger, but he’s heard that the team’s General Manager has just dealt for a third baseman. It gives him the heebejeebies.

“I suppose you know why we’re here, right?” Pacheco begins, essentially confirming his fears.

“You’re going to tell me Rich has been dealt, too?” There’s too much hope on his voice. Or is it desperation. Rich Dares is the other guy who plays third and hits lefties.

Pacheco’s quirky grin is all Vera neds to know that Rich Dares will still be donning a Mad Popes uniform this evening.

“We’re going to option you Black Hills. But you know the drill. Keep your nose to the grindwheel and focus on getting better. You’ll be back.”

Vera draws a deep breath. He’s not sure if this is the right place to ask, but he’s a blue-collar guy and it’s a white collar world. He’s worked hard to get here. He wants to know the truth. “Can I ask you a straight question?”

“Can’t hurt.”

“Are they trying to fiddle with my service time? You know?”

Pacheco sits back. “Well. I can’t tell you that’s not going through their mind. But here’s the thing. You’re twenty years old, and they brought you up. If you were hitting .315 I’d say you’ve got a valid worry. But, Jaun, you’re hitting .215, and to be honest sometimes you’re looking over-matched. So I say don’t sweat it. The fact is we’ve got a couple guys ahead of you right now. But you’re the future. Keep your chin up.”
Vera nods.

He doesn’t like the answer, but he likes it at that same time.

“All right, Skip,” he says, standing to go pack. “Keep my seat warm.”

Pacheco stands and pats Vera on the back as he leaves. The look on the manger’s eyes says he knows the wisdom he just imparted is right.

Juan Vera will be back, and next time he hoped it would be for good.

POSPlayer NameAgeBTOVRPOTConCon PGapGap PPowPow PEyeEye PAvKAvK P
3BJuan Vera20RR50507788665588
SourceHtWtSPEEDSTEALRUNCABCARIFRIFEIFATDPOFROFEOFA
DR51.16'2"1808751157106249
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: 55.019 – Having “The Talk”

Post by Dington » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:29 am

Was a big fan of Vera when he was drafted. Was disappointed I missed him draft because I was out of town.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sacramento Mad Popes”