55.014 – Torres Sparkles Again - Is He Being Held Down?

GM: Doug Olmsted

Moderator: shoeless.db

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

55.014 – Torres Sparkles Again - Is He Being Held Down?

Post by RonCo » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:29 am

Byline: Max Offen Sichtlich
Off Topic

July 5, 2055

When last we heard of youthful Ánibal Torres, he was pounding rookie ball pitching with four dingers in one game. The kid’s done it again, going yard in that league’s All-Star Game, and leading his team to victory.

Torres, who has remained in Rookie ball despite seven homers and a .348/.413/.803 slash, is known to be a bit awkward with his life as a baseball player, but has all the signs of a kid who maybe, might be, should be playing at a higher level.

“He’s still adjusting to the States,” said Francisco Morán, the manager of Torres’ Berkely Golden Bears. “He’s only sixteen, you know? And life is different here than in Puerto Rico. So I’m doing my best to help him acclimate.”

Rumor has it, thought, that there might be more going on in Morán’s mind than the mentorship of Torres. Morán, who is, admittedly, from Puerto Rico, too, has been managing the Golden Bears for five seasons now, and the club is in a bit of a spiral the past few years. Insiders say the manager was miffed when the team did not send him any pitchers to start the season, and may be sending false reports up the chain in order to retain the services of one of the only players of any real quality that seems to have been assigned to the club.

We’ll keep an eye out.

In the meantime, Torres seems content enough to play in Rookie Ball, but that may be changing.

“I feel like I’m a big stage player,” the kid said after the All-Star Game. “It wasn’t really that good of a pitch to hit out, but I felt the blood pumping when I got up there, so I was just trying to get good contact. But it felt good. I felt like I was going to do something good here even when they first called out my name.”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Sacramento Mad Popes”