55.002 – A Call For Help

GM: Doug Olmsted

Moderator: shoeless.db

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

55.002 – A Call For Help

Post by RonCo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:40 pm

The Universal Interconnected 12G Mad Pope Communications system chirps in newly minted GM Ron Collins’s office.

“What is it?” Collins says. He’s clearly inundated with scouting reports and requests for his time.

“Um, it’s me,” the voice on the other end says. “Francisco.”

“Francisco?”

“Yes. Francisco. You know? Francisco Moran, the manager of your team here in Berkeley?”

Collins looks up at the ephemeral figure of Carlos Camacho who is on an open balcony, sipping a glass of red wine and lounging on a hammock that overlooks his realm. The aroma of a cigar wafts on the hot California summer breezes.

“We have a team in Berkeley?” Collins says.

“Ah, yes,” Camacho says, cursing under his breath. “I knew I forgot something.

Collins’s eyes narrow for a moment, but soon a sloppy grin covers his expression.

“All right, Fransicso, what can I do you for?”

“I’m thinking there’s been a bit of a mistake, sir.”

“A mistake?”

“The season started down here last week, and, um, well, it seems that the busload of pitchers we assigned to the team didn’t take a left at Albuquerque.”

“I see,” Collins said. “But just to be sure we’re on the same page, could you say that again, but differently?”

“I got no goddamned pitchers,” Moran said. “Is that differently enough for you?”

“No pitchers?”

“Not a one. All I got are outfielders and catchers who pitched in little league. Haven’t you looked at our box scores?”

“Um…”

“Now I am the one who sees. I think I need a raise. Thirty-five goddamned roster billets, and not a pitcher in sight. Talk about your screwups.”

Blinking, Collins stares back to Camacho, who is still sipping wine. “What gives?”

Camacho waves a disinterested hand. “Just tell him to pitch Zuniga a few times.”

“The kid we drafted!” Collins says as if hitting a bright new idea. He scans his desktop frantically. "I can't find his link anywhere, but I know we got him, didn't we?"

“Yeah, we did. And his arm is fresh enough. Tell Frankie he’ll be there tonight.”

“What about tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow is another day. He should be all rested, don’t you think? We gave him $270K. Tell him to go to bed early and earn it.”

Collins stammers for a moment, his face growing dark. “Um, sorry, Fransciso,” he finally replies. “I’m on it. We’ll see if we can divert a few resources your way.”

“That would be fantastic.”

Collins clicks off. “I’m surprised we didn’t have any pitchers in Berkely.”

“It’s not important,” Camacho says, turning his view back to the open park below the team’s office suite. “Really, it’s all under control.”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: 55.002 – A Call For Help

Post by Jwalk100 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:55 pm

Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (4.71 KiB) Viewed 268 times
@RonCo's first day on the job with Carlos Camacho.
ImageImageImageImageImage

lordtoffee
BBA GM

Re: 55.002 – A Call For Help

Post by lordtoffee » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:52 pm

It's going to be very interesting to see how Ron gets on in the Pacific.
Chief Baseball Officer- Brooklyn Robins

The Rebuilding Will Continue Until the Robins improve.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sacramento Mad Popes”