My First Game (I’m Pretty Sure)

Discuss current Major League Baseball here.
JimSlade
BBA GM

My First Game (I’m Pretty Sure)

Post by JimSlade » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:20 am

I haven't had enough time lately to write up a report on the closing weeks of my Rockville team's season, but I should have time soon. Meanwhile, I do like writing and reading and because this is a league of people who share those interests, I hope you don't mind me cross-posting a series of essays I've been writing on the games I've attended that are most deeply burnt into my brain. This is a project I'm trying to do during this season, as I feel myself getting old and enjoy reassessing some amazing moments.

When people ask me how I can love a game with as little action as baseball, I always start with, “Well, baseball is time travel. If you find a way to get into the game, all those moments where ‘nothing is happening’ become a fountain of possibilities.”

What I mean is, while I’m waiting for the batter to adjust his cup and get back in the batter’s box, I’m time traveling to other listless games that suddenly changed on a single pitch or swing. I talk through the possibilities with the person sitting next to me at the game, typically my friends Pete or Andy – or maybe the stranger on my other side. We may convince ourselves that the pitcher is showing signs of tiring. We may reflect on a game from 10 years earlier, when a batter awoke the crowd with a mammoth home run in just this situation. We may joke about the inevitability of the current batter striking out.

For those of you who don’t get into this kind of thing, who have not (yet) been converted to the glory of the game, you may rightly be thinking, “God, Jim must be insufferable to sit next to during a game.” That’s fair. Even fellow baseball lovers have called me out for my insufferable “dugout chatter.” At a game circa 1991 or 1992, before young third baseman Dave Hollins became a key member of the lightning-in-a-bottle 1993 NLCS Phillies, a game was in the middle of a listless stretch, when I turned to my seatmate and said, hopefully, “This kid’s swing reminds me of Greg Luzinski’s.” I was seriously time-traveling to all the line-drive home runs I saw The Bull hit out to leftfield in my teens. Before my friend could nod along to the beauty of my insight, the older guy in front of us turned around and went vice presidential debate Lloyd Bentson on Dan Quayle me, with something along the lines of, “Sir, Dave Hollins is no Greg Luzinski!”

OK, it turned out he was right. Hollins would get called out looking at a third strike in that situation, but I stand behind my time-traveling optimism.

I guess what I’m saying with this long preface is that my memories of baseball games etched in my soul may not always be accurate, but they are truthful. Let’s get onto Game 1 in this series, which I’m pretty sure is the first game I attended in person, with my Uncle Joe and my Grandpop, the 2 people who turned me onto baseball.

My Memories: It was Phillies vs Giants, early in 1972, probably right before Lefty Mania hit (Lefty being Steve Carlton, the newly acquired pitcher who would put up probably the greatest season relative to a terrible team in baseball history). I call this the Chris Speier Game.

Speier was then a young shortstop with the Giants, a team best known to me as home to fading legends my uncle and grandfather had been telling me about, like Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, and Juan Marichal. Sam McDowell might have been on that team, too. At some point early in my baseball history, I remember him being traded straight up for Gaylord Perry, which was a pretty titanic swapping of aces on par with the Phillies trading Rick Wise before the 1972 season for Steve Carlton. Those power deals made an impression on me, and I’ll go to my grave thinking about how cool Sam McDowell’s nickname was – Sudden Sam McDowell, always “Sudden Sam” – but all these years later, I don’t recall whether any of those fading legends were involved in the game. I only remember Chris Speier, a 1971 Topps all-star rookie, kind of like me at my first game, hitting 2 home runs and the Phillies losing. Still, I was turned on by the notion that a rookie could have such an impact on a game.

Rookie sensations were part of my introduction to the game, which I first absorbed watching on TV at the feet of my uncle and grandfather in 1971. The Phillies had a flashy rookie in centerfield named Willie Montanez. He was another Topps all-star rookie team member, as stated on his 1972 card. He would snap his glove as a flyball settled into it. He flipped his bat as he approached the plate from the on-deck circle. He was lefthanded, like me and my baseball teachers. Willie lost out on Rookie of the Year to Braves catcher Earl Williams, who hit 3 more home runs but was nowhere near as cool. I took that as a great indignity, and the next year, when Williams’ baseball card came out, also with the little Topps all-star rookie team trophy in the bottom corner, I’d set it next to Willie’s card and just seethe.

Montanez was also highly expressive, the closest thing we had to Roberto Clemente in terms of physical quirks. Willie and another young player who wore his heart on his sleeve on the 1971 Phillies, shortstop Larry Bowa, appealed to me from Day 1. I was all about “letting it all hang out, man.” The hippie ethos is another thing I picked up from my uncle, our relative family hippie. He is also the person responsible for me loving music. Baseball in 1972 was just at the edge of getting hip, with the Oakland A’s and their awesome facial hair. From 1972 to 1974, I would note the baseball cards showing players with long hair, sideburns, and facial hair. I leaned in harder on rooting for those players, even if they were on the opposition.

So, my first game (I’m pretty sure) was highlighted by a rookie shortstop on the opposition hitting 2 home runs to beat my Phillies. Or was it?
What the Box Score Says: I looked at all the games the Giants played in Philly’s once-glorious toilet bowel of a stadium, Vet Stadium, in 1972. Speier would hit 15 home runs that season, which was a lot of home runs for a middle infielder in those days, but the only home run he hit in Vet Stadium in 1972 was on May 6 (https://www.baseball-reference.com/.../ ... 5060.shtml). Let the record be corrected: Chris Speier hit only 1 home run at the first game I ever saw in person. Everything else I have remembered about that game is the truth.
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: My First Game (I’m Pretty Sure)

Post by Dington » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:37 am

That was cool. I have no clue what my first game was, but I'm sure it was a Dodgers or Angels game.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:15 am

I love those names.

I used to say I have "Luzinski Legs" for the size of my calfs. What a great set of players.

As an aside: Chris Speier featured (oddly, with Blue Moon Odom and a few others) in a short story I wrote a few years back. You can find it here: https://pulphousemagazine.com/products/ ... sley-smith

Sorry you have to buy the mag, but I promise the whole thing is worth it. Some really good writing in it.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:16 am

And I saw a game at Vet once. I don't remember who won, but Ron Jones homered to the opposite field.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

JimSlade
BBA GM

Post by JimSlade » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:10 am

Ron Jones! Now there's a young player who gave us hope...for about a week.

I'll check out that story. Sorry if it's TMI, but I too have legs that could stunt double for the Bull.
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

jiminyhopkins
BBA GM

Post by jiminyhopkins » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:57 am

Should be a league feature. Get some points.

In fact I'd love to hear everyone's stories about how they fell in love with this great game.*

*Real Baseball, not MarkusWorld lol
GM, 2051, 2053, and 2058 JL WILDCARD Phoenix Talons (2029-??), BBA
CARETAKER GM, 2053 GBC CHAMPION Tokyo Pearls (2053 - 2058)
GM, THE GREATEST MINOR LEAGUE TEAM OF ALL TIME Toledo Liberty
Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner: 2051, 2054, 2057

Knucklehead254
BBA GM

Post by Knucklehead254 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:25 pm

Aaron Wharram (356-292)
General Manager of the Vancouver Mounties!
Playoff App: 2056, 2057, 2058

Former GM of the Sydney Sharks! (22-22) (August 2054 - October 2054)

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Post by trmmilwwi » Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:19 am

Knucklehead254 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:25 pm
This was my first game!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/game/_/gameId/260520106
I remember David Weathers. Not sure why but I do. That Tigers team was pretty interetsing I think.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Krathan
BBA GM

Post by Krathan » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am

This was great! I can’t remember a lot of details about my first game. It was definitely a Royals game in KC. I remember something that may or may not have happened. I believe that Jamie Quirk was batting with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th inning with the Royals trailing. Quirk struck out and the Royals lost. It would have been 1985 or 1986. 1985 is when I started really paying attention to baseball but I can’t remember whether I convinced my parents to go to a game that year or the next year after KC won the World Series.

A memory I know is accurate from that game: I cheered loud and consistently throughout that game. After the game ending strikeout, a man who was in front of us turned around and said to me “You can come back anytime with the way you cheer. The rest of these guys, maybe not, but you can come all the time.” Then he gave me a high five.
Krathan (Nathan)
Cairo Pharaos GM 2055 (2055 GBC Champion)
Charlotte Cougars/Flyers GM Sept. 2055-??? (2058 JL Wildcard)

Krathan
BBA GM

Post by Krathan » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:28 am

a couple more thoughts.
I moved from Western Missouri to Phoenix late in he summer of 1986 and I think I only attended 1 more MLB game from that time until 1998. (The only way I got to catch a Royals game during that time was a rare tv appearance or those nights that the Omaha radio station could break through the static and let me hear part of their game as it faded in and out.) My dad, brothers, and I took a road trip when we were visiting family in Souther Illinois in August of 1994. I convinced my dad to make an 8 hour drive each way to attend a Royals game. My mom thought it was ridiculous and stayed behind. We saw KC host the A’s, including Rickey Henderson, on Wednesday, August 3. I remember thinking that Troy Neel hit a foul ball down the LF line in the 1st and being disappointed to realize it was a home run instead. I remember Bob Hamlin hitting a home run for KC. And I remember the Royals winning. It was their 12th consecutive win.

My next game was the Diamondbacks first ever game on March 31, 1998. Andy Benes threw the first pitch and Travis Lee got the team’s 1st hit and 1st home run. AZ got stomped 9-2 by the Rockies. I believe Kari Garcia also hit a home run in the game. (The best thing he did for AZ was get traded to Detroit for Luis Gonzales.)

Fun fact, In about 1988, I wrote a letter to the MLB commissioner explaining all the reasons that Phoenix should get an expansion team. It took 10 years but it happened. Ha
Last edited by Krathan on Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krathan (Nathan)
Cairo Pharaos GM 2055 (2055 GBC Champion)
Charlotte Cougars/Flyers GM Sept. 2055-??? (2058 JL Wildcard)

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:14 pm

My first game was a one hitter.

-The only hit was by Tony Gwynn of course.
-There was a rain delay to start game. Padres played the game under protest because it wasn't even raining.
-My favorite player(Keith Hernandez) hit a homerun.
-Gregg Jeffries missed a cycle by a single in his 2nd day after being called up.
-Lenny Dykstra got ejected from the game in his first at bat for cursing out umpire after strikeout.
-One of my relatives had bought me a Yankee jacket by mistake and my mom made me wear it to the game... my 9 year old ass got cursed out by hecklers.
-On the way home my dad "accidently" drove down a street in downtown NYC that had about 100 hookers

Needless to say I was hooked and have been to at least 100 games since. I may or may not have made a tradition out of "getting lost" on the way home even as an adult.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

JimSlade
BBA GM

Post by JimSlade » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:38 pm

Krathan wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:28 am
Fun fact, In about 1988, I wrote a letter to the MLB commissioner explaining all the reasons that Phoenix should get an expansion team. It took 10 years but it happened. Ha
So you're the reason my Phillies didn't get back back to the World Series last year! 😂

Great stuff. I love the high five from your first game.
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “MLB Talk”