Jayson Werth.

Discuss current Major League Baseball here.
ryankcollins
Ex-GM

Jayson Werth.

Post by ryankcollins » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:44 pm

Sorry, but I'm suffering from some major boredom right now after I read some information on Metaphysics. What does everyone think of the Jayson Werth 7year/$126M dollar contract with the Nationals? Good team for him? Too much money? Signed too soon? What's your input? Will this affect Cliff Lee's amount? What do you think Cliff Lee will get?
RYAN COLLINS
GM of CHICAGO BLACK SOX
AIM: youdoozeyoulooze
Twitter: @MBBA_Blacksox

lynchy34
Ex-GM

Re: Jayson Werth.

Post by lynchy34 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:45 pm

Way too much money for Werth. Unreal. And that deal definitely priced my Red Sox out of the Carl Crawford sweepstakes, what with the Gonzalez deal and all.
Frick League Champions - '95, '98, '00
Frick Midwest Champions - '98
General Manager of the Year - '98

ryankcollins
Ex-GM

Post by ryankcollins » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:51 pm

lynchy34 wrote:Way too much money for Werth. Unreal. And that deal definitely priced my Red Sox out of the Carl Crawford sweepstakes, what with the Gonzalez deal and all.
I completely forgot about Carl Crawford! Yeah, and what is sad is that Crawford, in my opinion, is a better player than Werth. However, I think this contract could end up hurting Crawford if he is wanting a similar payout. It is not so much that Werth screwed up the other notable free agents, it is that the Nationals do not know how to spend their money wisely.

Do you think the Nats have a chance at making a run (definitely not play-off, but better than their usual last place team)?
RYAN COLLINS
GM of CHICAGO BLACK SOX

jcrmoon42
Ex-GM

Post by jcrmoon42 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:30 pm

lynchy34 wrote:Way too much money for Werth. Unreal. And that deal definitely priced my Red Sox out of the Carl Crawford sweepstakes, what with the Gonzalez deal and all.

Grrrrrr...exactly right. He's going to be looking at 20 bills plus, and I don't think Theo will do that. Crazy money out there right now. And five years from now, I think that nearly all the off season deals from this year will be looked at as mistakes. Even Cliff Lee, whatever he eventually signs for.

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:32 pm

read the article on mlb.com about this deal. They interviewed the nationals gm and i think he gave an acceptable reason for making this deal. He even seemed to agree that it was too long of a contract and for too much money but the way he put it, it almost made sense that the nats did it.
GM Vancouver Mounties

LambeauLeap
Ex-GM

Post by LambeauLeap » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:19 pm

As if they werne't before, but this REALLY screws the Brewers now with Fielder.
Brad Browne
Editor, Guam Today
---
1986: Chicago Black Sox (73-89)
1987-1991: Valencia Stars/Suns (341-469)
1998-2005: Austin Riverbats/Marquette Suns (697-600)

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:41 pm

Um, isn't that what basically happens every five years? :) Besides, it's picking the one that DOESN'T suck that's the hard part...

jcrmoon42 wrote:Grrrrrr...exactly right. He's going to be looking at 20 bills plus, and I don't think Theo will do that. Crazy money out there right now. And five years from now, I think that nearly all the off season deals from this year will be looked at as mistakes. Even Cliff Lee, whatever he eventually signs for.

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:46 pm

LambeauLeap wrote:As if they werne't before, but this REALLY screws the Brewers now with Fielder.
The moves we are making such as non tendering Coffey and shipping Villanueva to the Jays and even bringing in Marcum for Lawrie suggest to me that we are trying to resign Fielder not trade him.
GM Vancouver Mounties

LambeauLeap
Ex-GM

Post by LambeauLeap » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:51 pm

If Fielder re-ups with the BrewCrew I'll eat my underwear.
Brad Browne
Editor, Guam Today
---

Manny
Ex-GM

Post by Manny » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:51 pm

I think it's a great contract for Werth but I would not pay that for him at all. It does suck that it probably means that Crawford wont be joining the Red Sox now but I'm glad that Werth went to washington as I didnt want him to sign in Boston. It seems like Lee is holding out for a 7 year contract and if he gets it...wow...7 years for a 32 year old pitcher.

jcrmoon42
Ex-GM

Post by jcrmoon42 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Manny wrote:I think it's a great contract for Werth but I would not pay that for him at all. It does suck that it probably means that Crawford wont be joining the Red Sox now but I'm glad that Werth went to washington as I didnt want him to sign in Boston. It seems like Lee is holding out for a 7 year contract and if he gets it...wow...7 years for a 32 year old pitcher.
Not only is he 32 years old, but if you take away his one 22-3 Cy Young season, he is 80-58 with a 4.10 ERA. Take away his 18-5 season in '98 when he was a just above average pitcher who got good support, and he is 62-53. Win-lost record isn't everything, but a 32 year old with a record just over .500 and an ERA north of 4 suddenly stops looking like a $20 million pitcher. Did you know he has only been top 10 in ERA+ twice in his career.

LambeauLeap
Ex-GM

Post by LambeauLeap » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:15 pm

jcrmoon42 wrote:
Manny wrote:I think it's a great contract for Werth but I would not pay that for him at all. It does suck that it probably means that Crawford wont be joining the Red Sox now but I'm glad that Werth went to washington as I didnt want him to sign in Boston. It seems like Lee is holding out for a 7 year contract and if he gets it...wow...7 years for a 32 year old pitcher.
Not only is he 32 years old, but if you take away his one 22-3 Cy Young season, he is 80-58 with a 4.10 ERA. Take away his 18-5 season in '98 when he was a just above average pitcher who got good support, and he is 62-53. Win-lost record isn't everything, but a 32 year old with a record just over .500 and an ERA north of 4 suddenly stops looking like a $20 million pitcher. Did you know he has only been top 10 in ERA+ twice in his career.
This is exactly why I think owners should collude on salaries. No way a baseball player should make that kind of money when we have military getting shot at every day making a pittance.
Brad Browne
Editor, Guam Today
---

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:03 pm

Well, the plus side is that the baseball player gives those soldiers something to talk about in-between gunshots. Not that they're particularly bored.

ryankcollins
Ex-GM

Post by ryankcollins » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:17 pm

jcrmoon42 wrote:
7 years is ridiculous. New York said they would go 6 maximum. In the end, I think Cliff Lee will go six years with New York and I don't even know how much money they'll vomit up.
RYAN COLLINS
GM of CHICAGO BLACK SOX

BigRed Mosquito
Ex-GM

Post by BigRed Mosquito » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:05 am

Yeah, I think I'm right in line with the majority. Werth should be doing cartwheels on his new payday, but the Nationals really overpaid for the guy. Although, it's interesting being a Royals fan, because that's what it pretty much takes to get anyone to play for you. Torii Hunter comes to mind, the Royals were supposedly one of the teams in on him but unless the Royals were willing to overpay for him why would he choose to KC, and sure enough he ended up in LA/Anaheim. It's all part of being a losing franchise trying to make the leap, and in the end it either works for you or you fall deeper in the hole! Jayson Stark is a regular contributor to one of the local sports talk shows, and he has said as much to, just because you make an offer doesn't mean the guy is going to come, especially if you are a consistent losing franchise.

While I think the Nationals overpaid, I sure would like to see the Royals take some risks in signing guys!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “MLB Talk”