Rex Bell - Player Spotlight

Backstory and history of a particular player- make them come to life!
JohnC
Ex-GM

Rex Bell - Player Spotlight

Post by JohnC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Getting ready to watch the GSP - Carlos Condit fight in Montreal Saturday, we catch up with Rex Bell of the Montreal Blazers. "I love baseball, but sometimes you like to watch something a little more aggressive," says Bell. The native of Maplewood, MN., grew up playing both baseball and golf as much as he could. "If I had my choice I would be on the PGA Tour instead of being a ML player, but I am not quite good enough." he added.

Drafted number 4 overall by Madison in the 1997 draft, Bell was dealt the very next season to Montreal in a deal that involved legend Bolt Vanderhugen. "Ya, that guy is a freak. He is still going strong at 39yrs old," said Bell of Vanderhugen. Bell Made his ML debut that very year as a September call up for Montreal. He would never play another game in the minors. He has since gone on the play over 1300 games in a Blazers uniform including 21 playoff games. His best overall season being 2002 when he hit .321 with 37HR's and 147 RBI's.

Bell jumps out of his seat as GSP scores a big take down of Condit in the 1st round. "That's how it's done Dicky," he says. Certainly not lacking self confidence Bell talks about his name being talked about in trade rumors at the deadline this year. "Any team would have been lucky to get me in a deal this year," said Bell. In 9 full seasons so far Bell has managed to hit 259 career HR's, and driven in 875RBI's. However he has never managed to play a full season in Montreal. Usually dealing with nagging type injuries. He did enjoy a bit of a rebound this season when he hit 31HR's, his most since 2004. "I'll be 33yrs old at the start of next season, so I plan on working very hard this winter so I can have a really good season next year," Bell said.

It is certainly possible that 2008 will be Bell's last in Montreal as his contract is up. "I have thought about it a little, it's the only pace I have known," Bell confides. "I hope I am here a little longer. I feel we have some unfinished business here in Montreal," says Bell. The fans in Montreal would most certainly agree with Bell, however given the current state of the team it is likely that business will remain unfinished for a few seasons yet. The business in the octagon has certainly been finished on this night as GSP scores a unanimous victory over Condit in this 5 round blood bath. "That's how it is done Dicky, that is how it's done," smiles Bell.

Richard Head
Montreal Times
Montreal Blazers 2002 - present
Atlantic Div Champs '02,'05,'06,'11,'12,'13,'14,'19,'21,'27,'30'33
Wild Card '04,'10,'20,'28,'29,'31,'32,'34

John Callahan
GM: Montreal Blazers
Email: doghares@hotmail.com

wualumni
Ex-GM

Re: Rex Bell - Player Spotlight

Post by wualumni » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:00 pm

Another trade that was exciting to pull off (in addition to the Whitley trade). This one was a little more even with Madison getting Vanderhugen, but Bell has been very good for quite awhile for Montreal and Wheeler was excellent in that first year filling in for Vanderhugen and arguably had a better year than him 1998.
Jason Martin
GM: California Crusaders, MBWBA
Twitter: MBWBA_Crusaders

felipe
Ex-GM

Post by felipe » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:36 am

Lookin at Bell's stats this year (+33.2 VORP, -22.4 ZR) I was struck with the question of how other people look at these stats...I would say that made Bell a cumulative +10.8, and not good value for his contract.

But does that make sense? I'm interested, how do others correspond the two numbers...or do you even try to correlate the two?

Is it more of a 'I need this type of hitter in the lineup and any defence is a bonus' kind of thing...

Would a team of 9 +33 VORP players with a -22 ZR beat a team of +15 VORP, 0 ZR guys, or a team of 0 VORP, +20 ZR guys...

Do you see what I'm asking?

Al-Hoot

Post by Al-Hoot » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:56 am

Overall I've not noticed Montreal to be concerned with fielding.

Sent using tapatalk.

JohnC
Ex-GM

Post by JohnC » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:36 am

Al-Hoot wrote:Overall I've not noticed Montreal to be concerned with fielding.

Sent using tapatalk.
That is not it at all Al. His DF has gone down over the last couple of seasons. I am pretty sure he had a 6 rating on the OF at one point. I haven't checked though. He was never a great fielder to start with. However, sometimes you need to balance your lineup. I had stronger OFers set to be defensive replacements for him when we were contending the last several seasons. His offensive numbers were worth his average DF in the OF for 7 or 8 innings. I value fielding at some positions much more then others.
Montreal Blazers 2002 - present
Atlantic Div Champs '02,'05,'06,'11,'12,'13,'14,'19,'21,'27,'30'33
Wild Card '04,'10,'20,'28,'29,'31,'32,'34

John Callahan
GM: Montreal Blazers
Email: doghares@hotmail.com

felipe
Ex-GM

Post by felipe » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:37 pm

Rex Bell sure is popular...

did you know that he is the only player with TWO player spotlights?

(Found this our whuile checkin to see if my guy already had one done)

Al-Hoot

Post by Al-Hoot » Sat May 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Nice. Course I can't root for him this season...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Player Spotlights”