Player/Career Spotlight - Danny Lamb

Backstory and history of a particular player- make them come to life!
Ted
Ex-GM

Player/Career Spotlight - Danny Lamb

Post by Ted » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:35 pm

As the 2021 season winds down, 36 year old Danny Lamb will finish the year without throwing a single pitch at the major league level. The longest tenured California Crusader has spent the entire season with the AAA level Clash City Rockers, after starting the season there for a rehab assignment. This will be the first time Lamb hasn't taken the mound in a Crusaders uniform since 2010.

Drafted 1st overall in the 2008 amateur draft by the only franchise he has ever known, Lamb cracked the big league roster after only two years in the minors, and by his second season was a reliable starter at the age of 25. He made his first and only all star team in 2012, and was a key member of a staff that pitched the Crusaders to 4 straight division titles from 2013 to 2016. Lamb continued to be a reliable, durable starter over the next several seasons while mired on a losing team that had lost any sort of organizational direction. With an overpowering fastball that still touched 100 mph in his mid 30's Lamb rapidly became a fan favorite. Lamb was the picture of dedication and resiliency, throwing 210+ innings for 9 straight seasons before injuries derailed his 2020 campaign.

The 2021 season has been difficult for Lamb. Remarkably healthy for his entire career, Lamb suffered an abdominal strain in July of 2020 that provoked a series of ailments. After his delayed recovery from his abdominal strain, lamb pulled a hamstring in early September. He seemed relatively healthy during this year's spring training, but noticeably had lost some velocity and stayed with the minor league club to work out some delivery problems. In May, he herniated a disc in his neck.

By this time it was pretty clear that Danny was not going to contribute to the major league club at any time this season. The one time fireballer now hits the radar gun at a pedestrian 92. Lamb's decline coincided with a change in strategy put in place by the new front office. Shortly after setting up shop, the recently hired GM flew to Clash City to have a discussion with Lamb. The focus of the conversation was that yes, while Lamb could have an impact on the big league roster, on a team that was going nowhere fast, he could have a greater organizational impact by staying with the AAA team, as a leader on a club headed to the playoffs.

When asked about his extended stay in the minors, Lamb had the following comments. "It's strange, right? At first I didn't like the idea at all. Heck, I'm only 36 years old. Figured I had at least 3 good years left in me. Eventually I realized I'm having way more fun with these kids that I have had for years at the big league level. Sure, it helps that we're winning, but being around these young guys rubs off on you. Aside from the grandpa jokes, they really look up to you, and ask for a lot of advice."

When asked about what the future holds, Lamb indicated that he wasn't sure. "I'm already pretty much a second pitching coach. I think that's something I want to do, but I'm not sure I want to give up going to the mound every 5th day yet." The Crusaders have informed him that while they would like to keep him, they may not have the budget to do so. Rumor has it he has either a coaches or front office job waiting for him whenever he decides to hang 'em up.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

avery

Re: Player/Career Spotlight - Danny Lamb

Post by avery » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:37 am

Great story....

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: Player/Career Spotlight - Danny Lamb

Post by trmmilwwi » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:03 am

Nice feature... enjoyed the walk down memory lane!
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Player Spotlights”