Bob Goodwin and Why Strikeouts Don't Matter

Backstory and history of a particular player- make them come to life!
agrudez
Ex-GM

Bob Goodwin and Why Strikeouts Don't Matter

Post by agrudez » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:43 am

If I told you that a player had struck out in 28.8% of his career ML ABs one might naturally assume that they aren’t very good. If I told you that a player had a career 125 OPS+ one would naturally assume that they were. So then, how does one reconcile when those two metrics describe the same player? That is exactly the situation you would encounter in assessing Bob Goodwin’s career.

After 8 straight seasons of registering on the league’s leaderboard for times struck out – which culminated in a #1 spot on that list in this past season (with a staggering 197 Ks – 30.8% of his ABs on the year), Goodwin has established himself as one of the league’s greatest whiffers. Thanks to a career .345 BABIP; however, he still has ended up being an above average contact hitter (career .279 AVG) which, when coupled with an impressive career .235 ISO and strong 11.2% career BB rate has also established him as one of the league’s best (and most consistent) all around bats as well.

In many ways, Goodwin has personified “new” baseball. A player that would’ve never even sniffed a lineup in the ‘good ole days’ due to his penchant for swinging and missing, he has (with his ability to reach base and hit the ball hard – when he manages to put his bat on it, that is) instead put himself on a plausible (albeit remote) Hall of Fame track in this modern era. Entering his 34 year old season next year, Goodwin sits with 256 HRs, 901 RBIs and 34.7 WAR – with an average of 28.5, 100 and 3.85 per season respectively. As such, if he plays through his 38 season at those paces, he will have accumulated nearly 400 HRs (398.5), 1500 RBIs (1401) and 55 WAR (53.95) – putting him (based on current leaderboards) at 38th, 35th and 27th in those categories. Those are certainly respectable placements in history.

Speaking of counting stats, if he stayed on the same pace for those stats above, it seems reasonable he would do so for strikeouts as well, right? Well, with 1489 career Ks and a 165.5 K/season rate, that means that Goodwin would end his 38 year old season with 2316 Ks to his name – good for 6th in league history between Henry Jones and Resurrection Santos. If you’re a fan of making history; however, there is good news! 2014 was by far Goodwin’s best (or worst?) season at whiffing – and his AVK has decreased in response. So, if he can repeat this year over the next 5 instead, then he would end his 38 year old season with 2474 Ks – upping him to 4th in league history between Steve Faulkner and Hurley Reyes.

While it may be difficult to topple the 2793 Ks George Bellairs set in his career, Goodwin will certainly push his piss poor work ethic to the minimum to take his best shot at it… and Barnstormers nation will be cheering him on all the way – for next season anyway… before his TO gets declined due to being financially squeezed.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Cliche
Ex-GM

Re: Bob Goodwin and Why Strikeouts Don't Matter

Post by Cliche » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:20 am

Bob Goodwin is awesome. I miss him whenever I look at our offense the last two years.
Phoenix Talons, 1987-1994 (614-682, .474). 1993 JL Wildcard Winner.
Atlantic City Gamblers, 2010-2030. 2022 MBWBA Champions. '10, '15, '22, '23, '25, '28 FLA Champions. 2010, 2024 FL Cartwright Cup Winners.

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:36 am

Strikeouts, as you'd no doubt demonstrate, can be better than a groundout.

mrbornac
Ex-GM

Post by mrbornac » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:43 am

There must be a statistical solution that would say that a ground out is better than a strike out if and when a league range factor is below a certain level. Your own speed plays into this. If you can force a team to execute the defensive play to throw you out, does that not negate some of your "k is better" logic?

I'm just curious - not trolling 8)
General Manager
Buffalo Bison : 2002 - ?
Record 1,496 - 1,582 .486 (The wheels came off)
Twitter: @mbba_Bison

2017 Landis Memorial Champions
2017 Frick League Champion
2017, 2016, 2007, 2004 FLA Winner
2014, 2017 Frick League Wild Card Winner

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:14 am

If his avoid K is falling further doesn't that mean his K's per season are going to pick up and the rest of his counting stats fall meaning those paces you threw up there are gonna be off?
GM Vancouver Mounties

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:19 am

bschr682 wrote:If his avoid K is falling further doesn't that mean his K's per season are going to pick up and the rest of his counting stats fall meaning those paces you threw up there are gonna be off?
More than likely.

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:50 pm

mrbornac wrote:There must be a statistical solution that would say that a ground out is better than a strike out if and when a league range factor is below a certain level. Your own speed plays into this. If you can force a team to execute the defensive play to throw you out, does that not negate some of your "k is better" logic?

I'm just curious - not trolling 8)
Well, to be fair, you're now not talking about a groundOUT, but rather a groundBALL whose outcome can be dictated by defensive error or infield BABIP. The range of groundball out ratios can range from 50 to 85 depending (as you suggest) mostly on the player's speed; however, speaking in league averages (for MLB, anyway) there is roughly an average groundball out ratio of 75% (and, at an average speed of '5', I think it'd be safe to assume Goodwin would fall in this range). That includes both "seeing eye singles" and ones hit straight at a fielder - which would obviously have significantly different ratios attached individually.

I don't BELIEVE that OOTP captures GB%, LD% and FB% (if it does, and you can direct me to it, I'll love you forever, btw), but since Goodwin (as an example) is a gap hitter aficionado with good HR pop let's assume that his LD% and FB% are above average and his GB% is below average (to compensate)... so something like 28% LD rate, 42% FB rate and 30% GB rate.

Now, with a groundball out ratio of 75% and a 30% GB rate, that means that in 650 ABs there will be 195 balls put on the ground by the batter in a season, 147 of which will be recorded outs. That leaves 48 non-outs off groundballs over the course of a season (and recall that this includes both types of groundballs... those between fielders and right at them) for this player. In Goodwin's case last year, he hit with a runner on 1st 229 times last year which, by the ratios presented, means he would have hit a groundball in this situation roughly 69 times and ended with 8 GDIP (which is actually a considerably lower ratio than I was expecting, tbh). So of those 48 non-outs, we can subtract 8... so he now had 40 non-outs off groundballs.

So, obviously a groundBALL is better than a strikeOUT, but as a player gets slower and slower and, thus, more reliant on other types of batted balls for their BABIP, then just how much so continues to decrease. A '10' speed probably wants a higher AVK to take advantage of their GB% (since they would assuredly fall close to the 50% hit ratio on such a batted ball), but it more than likely behooves a '1' speed (whom would assuredly trend towards the 85% out ratio for such a batted ball) to have a lower AVK, imo, to decrease the affect of it - particularly as they are more likely to have their GIDP bloat as well (adding extra outs to the equation)*.

None of that speaks towards the affect of "trading outs", either. In Goodwin's case, he hit in a "force" situation 204 times last year which, by the ratios presented, he had a batted ground ball 61 times last year in that situation and recorded 46 outs. How many times was he replacing Yamaguchi, Holmes, Moore or Rodriguez vs. Petitjean or Rouse (the players whom most consistently hit "in front" of him at the 3-hole). Yamaguchi, our fastest player behind Moore, led the team in OBP and hit 2 spots in front - so I think its safe to assume that he has the yeoman's share of these situations - so what is the downgrade from a run production standpoint from trading him with Goodwin on the basepaths? I'm not real into SBs so I wouldn't even know where to begin quantifying that, but even someone as non-chalant about team speed as me recognizes there would be an affect there. Likewise, in the situation of the '1' speed, the affect would be even more hard felt... adding further credence that you probably would rather that guy just striking out in those situations (especially since he only converts 15% of his groundballs to non-outs... those definitely aren't pot odds!).

*Edit. Note that I'm talking about in REAL baseball and not OOTP baseball here (even though I'm using OOTP variables, haha)... the internal BABIP doesn't necessarily have a correlation with player speed (its merely an inverse relationship of AVK relative to CON) and, thus, this line of reasoning becomes moot in the context of the code.
bschr682 wrote:If his avoid K is falling further doesn't that mean his K's per season are going to pick up and the rest of his counting stats fall meaning those paces you threw up there are gonna be off?
Well, until his CON drops then his internal BABIP is remaining constant. 40 more Ks/year (not that I expect that pace to keep up, personally - nearly 200 Ks is impressive, haha) at his career BABIP will cost him about 12 hits/year. In his career he has a 17.7% chance for a hit to be a HR, so that drop in hits would cost him 2 HRs/year over his career pace. All of that would certainly affect RBIs and WAR as well, but that would be pretty difficult to attempt to quantify.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Player Spotlights”