Ways To Solve Free Agency Sim Redo In The Future

Have a suggestion for the league? Bring it up for discussion here.
lordtoffee
BBA GM

Ways To Solve Free Agency Sim Redo In The Future

Post by lordtoffee » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:47 pm

What happened with FA Sim 2 is ultimately a computer glitch, and came at an unfortunate time. But ultimately me complaining without offering a solution benefits nobody. Three possible answers to have in the back pocket should this ever happen again. Important note: This is only for free agents that have signed for a team in the original sim.

Option 1: The Auction
With the original winning contract being screenshotted on either the forum or Discord, a public auction is held for the player. That way, every GM has their bid information public, and the GM that signed the player in the original sim is on a more level playing field. Every GM is allowed to participate, and the auction is done on either the Discord or the forum.

Option 2: Player that Signed Originally Is Allowed To Be Traded Right Away:
If a player is signed during the original sim and the GM of the team that signs the player during the original sim wants to make a trade, that player is exempt from the minimum number of in game days before being traded. All other trade rules and protocols apply.

Option 3: GM That Signs Player in Original Sim Gets Right of First Refusal:
As it says on the tin. GM gets the ability to match the winning contract in the redo sim should the GM wish.

These ideas probably wont happen, but at the very least are out there in the future to be studied further should the need happen again.
Chief Baseball Officer- Brooklyn Robins

The Rebuilding Will Continue Until the Robins improve.

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: Ways To Solve Free Agency Sim Redo In The Future

Post by Dington » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:09 am

If you’re worried about be long outbid in a fair process where all teams get a chance to offer a free agent, I suggest increasing your original offer. Stop over thinking this.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

JimSlade
BBA GM

Post by JimSlade » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:30 am

I appreciate the suggestions. I ran out of gas with trying to keep up with the Discord thread, but when the occasional sim goes wonky, it doesn't hurt to consider future ways of addressing the problem.

Now, if I may be a wiseass for a moment, did this glitch give me one more opportunity to be tempted to re-sign Socrates? [Ducking.]
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:10 pm

Always open for fun hypotheticals. :)

I don't think option 2 really addresses either harm that occurs in these situations.

Option 3 really doesn't make sense to me. I mean. If I were in Brooklyn, Phoenix, Montreal's shoes right now (or anyone who signs a player and then has the sim rolled back), given that my hand has been revealed I would be trying to decide if i need/want to increase my offers...which would be the case if the sim had gone on and someone over-bid me--unless, of course, they over-bid me and the player decided to sign with them (*). So I already have the ability to increase to whatever level I think is appropriate. As I understand it, one of these teams will be limited in this simply because they feel they've already kind of maxed out. We'll see what happens, though. Necessity is the mother of invention.

(*) This is a case no one is talking about. If the imports had all taken, there is a fair chance that the McNeills, Lowrys, and Wullenwebers of the world would have signed with another team that outbid the teams that got them in the flawed sim. Given that idea, this cycle means that (to Chad's point), the Brooklyns, Phoenixs, and Montreals "gain" a second chance to think about how high they are really willing to go. So while there's a chance they'll pay more, it gives them a better opportunity to actually sign the player than if the imports had taken. Yes. It sounds odd that it would work in your favor, but in the end, it could.

Option 1 is interesting as a whole. This was essentially how the FOBL, another great league I was in back in the day ran ALL FA. Open Ebay-type bidding managed off-line where you always knew the top bid and had 24 hours to bid more if you wanted to. The difference was that (as I recall) we didn't know who was in the lead until the reveal at the end. It's kind of a fun way to do it. I admit I can't see us doing that for individual players simply due to the overhead. The league I was in had a guy write a standalone application to run it all.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

JimBob2232
BBA GM

Post by JimBob2232 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:47 pm

RonCo wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:10 pm

Option 1 is interesting as a whole. This was essentially how the FOBL, another great league I was in back in the day ran ALL FA. Open Ebay-type bidding managed off-line where you always knew the top bid and had 24 hours to bid more if you wanted to. The difference was that (as I recall) we didn't know who was in the lead until the reveal at the end. It's kind of a fun way to do it. I admit I can't see us doing that for individual players simply due to the overhead. The league I was in had a guy write a standalone application to run it all.
someday - when the game is web-based and progresses real time (no "simming" as we know it today) maybe this can work better. Some real time feedback. Fun idea - and loved it in leagues years ago - But agree-way too much overhead for what its worth. If we wanted to try it - might be able to do it for the top 10 guys every year. but also - its not just total value, its contract options, NTCs, etc...so its super complex.

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:05 pm

No one's exports were imported. You (and others) won bidding on players because, in fact, no other team was able to bid on said players.

The solution is much simpler:

COMMISH SHALL NOT SKIP THE CRUCIAL STEP OF IMPORTING TEAM EXPORTS BEFORE SIMMING.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Suggestions”