Hold My Log - 57.46 - Roundfield Makes Debut

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

Hold My Log - 57.46 - Roundfield Makes Debut

Post by 7teen » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:28 am

With the calendar turning to September and the Lumberjacks out of any post-season contention, the front office opted to call up some of its minor league talent for the final few games. The first notable prospect to get the call up was 2B prospect Edward Roundfield, IV. Edward made his debut on Wednesday, September 5 against Des Moines. A contest in which Portland lost 6-2 to the Kernels.

In his debut, Edward had an ok game, going 0-2 with a pair of walks and a strikeout. He also committed an error in the 9th inning that would have resulted in a double play, but instead led to a couple Des Moines runs.

"I was extremely nervous" commented Roundfield after the game. "That's not what caused the mistake in the 9th but just overall the nerves were there. By the 9th I was settled in, I just misplayed the baseball. Offensively, I felt I had some good at-bats, was pleased to draw a few walks. Overall, I'm just glad to be here."

Roundfield went 0-4 in his next 2 games which included a pinch-hitting effort and start against Hawaii. He did draw another walk in the second game. Edward got off the deck though the following Wednesday when he got his first hit. And he made it count.

In the top of the 9th in Valencia, with his team down 6-1, Roundfield took an 0-1 fastball offering from Greg Jackson and hit it 433 feet to deep centerfield for not just his first big league hit, but his first ever big league homerun.

"Don't they make movies about these kinds of things" Roundfield joked after the game. "First ever hit being your first ever big league homerun. I guess the only thing more magical had it been in my first at-bat and not my 10th" Edward concluded laughing. The fan who got the ball returned it to Roundfield. The ball actually landed in the seats as a few fans who remained in attendance of the 22,000 there that night raced to see who could get to the ball first.

The homerun has sparked Edward's bat of late. He's gone 5 for his last 9, while adding another homerun and a couple of walks.

The 22 year old former 31st overall pick in the 2052 draft is currently rated as the 18th best prospect in the BBA and the 3rd best prospect in the Lumberjacks farm system. The Lumberjacks front office did state they would not give Edward enough at-bats to ruin his rookie status for the 2058 season.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50