Hold My Log - 57.40 - Habernuckle Injury Creates Issues

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

Hold My Log - 57.40 - Habernuckle Injury Creates Issues

Post by 7teen » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:55 am

In Friday night's outstanding 5-4 win against Bikini at home that saw Portland score 4 runs in the 9th inning, Lumberjacks shortstop Cernunnos Haberknuckle left the game with an injury to his shoulder. The injury occurred at the end of the 7th inning when Krill SS Larry Barkin ended the inning by hitting a ground ball to Haberknuckle at SS and was retired at 1B on the throw.

"He said he heard something pop on the throw" commented Portland manager Mons Raider after the game. "It was a pretty routine play but he just said something didn't feel right on the throw so we took him out of the game." An MRI the following day revealed a strained rotator cuff and no severe damage. However, the injury will likely cause Cernunnos to miss about 3 weeks of play which creates a variety of issues for the Lumberjacks.

First off, what happens to the "Date Kate" promotion. The Portland front office was quick on the spot after news of the injury was reported. "We want to give our fans every opportunity to have a chance at the promotion. We hate that Cernunnos was injured and was a great sport about the whole idea of him hitting a homerun. Fans were clearly into the idea as evidenced by the number of fans who showed up this weekened. We have an alternative in mind for our next homestand."

Over 43,000 and 49,000 fans showed up for the Friday and Saturday night contests against Bikini and the front office took notice. "In response to the outpouring of fans and in response to Haberknuckle's injury, we are going to alter the details of the Meet and Greet with Kate promotion. At our upcoming 10-game homestand against San Fernando, Vancouver, and Valencia, if the team wins 5 games and we average 35,000 fans for the homestand, then one lucky fan will be drawn out of a lottery to be the recipient of the Meet and Greet with me" commented Kate Fiscus in her first public appearance in some time. "I'm excited to see you at the ballpark and for this team to win games against divisional opponents."

The major issue with the promotion now is it hinges on team success. While the team is riding a nice stretch by winning 5 of its last 6 games, the team is now without a shortstop for the next 3 weeks. With Haberknuckle and Turcotte both injured, there isn't a shortstop on the roster or in the minor leagues capable of playing every day in Portland.

"We definitely have a problem" added Raider. "Who plays shortstop for the next sim is anyone's guess."

The front runner for now is likely Carlos Flores who played the position for the final 3 games of last sim after Cernunnos' injury. He's by no means a shortstop but the team is pretty desperate at this point. Just like the fans are to "Meet and Greet" Kate.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50