Hold My Log - 57.13 - Three Straight Losses End Week 3

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

Hold My Log - 57.13 - Three Straight Losses End Week 3

Post by 7teen » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:16 am

Things were looking up early this week. Portland hosted Bikini and split a two game set and then traveled to Long Beach for a 4-game tilt with the 1st place Surfers. After Portland took the series opener, another solid week appeared in order. However, there is a reason Long Beach is currently in 1st place and it's likely because the Surfers took the final 3 games of the series, ending the Lumberjacks week with their first losing run of the season at 2-4.

The Lumberacks had a chance to salvage a split on the week in the final in Long Beach. Portland scored a pair of runs early in the game and led 2-0. Pedro Rosales hit his team leading 6th homerun of the season in the 3rd inning and the Lumberjacks led 2-0. That score held until the 6th inning when Long Beach finally rattled and got to Portland starter Ken Sparks. AFter back to back singles in the 6th to lead off the inning, Terry Cole hit a 3 run homer off Sparks to put the Surfer on top 3-2. A score that held until the end of the game.

Not only was this the club's first losing week, but it was also the first week of the early season that saw the Lumberjacks post a negative run differential as the team was outscored by 10 runs this week. Portland's record falls to 10-9 on the season and the club sits 3 games behind 1st place Long Beach in the Pacific Division.

"It was a rough week" commented skipper Mons Raider, "but we're still pleased overall with where we are as a club. I think most prognosticators had us finishing well below .500 and towards the bottom of the division. As long as we can keep the record around .500 I think we'll be pleased here in the early going."

Times will get tough next week as Portland comes home for its first extended home stand. They'll welcome Sacramento and Vancouver, two teams above the Lumberjacks in the standings.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50