Hold My Log - 56.01 - The Awards

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

Hold My Log - 56.01 - The Awards

Post by 7teen » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:12 pm

I have some catching up to do in the Team News arena so let's start with last year's awards. I need to dish these out in order to update the Best Hall of Fame and Museum in the League. Rather than post these individually like I have done pretty much every season since I've been here, I'll combine all of last year's awards into one feature. Honestly, I feel like I'm letting myself down doing it this way but oh well. Here were our top players from 2055.

Top Rookie
Johan Jorgennson
We didn't have a lot of options. In fact, Johan was really it. And his -0.4 WAR claims the honor. Johan was a Rule 5 pickup at the start of the season who played 50 games with Portland before being traded away to Jacksonville. With the 'Canes, he was a little better but not much. All together, he hit .210/.278/.313 with 5 homeruns and 25 RBI.

Top Reliever
Byron Cooper
Cooper came to Portland in a trade with Rocky Mountain mid season and performed well for the Lumberjacks. He came over with a -0.3 WAR and ended the year with a 1.1 overall WAR, 1.4 with Portland. He finished with 41 appearances, 10 of which were stills tarts, going 3-9 overall with a 4.87 ERA. In 112.2 innings pitched, he struck out 108 batters. Frankly, the fact he pretty much led the bullpen in WAR is the only reason he took the honor because those numbers aren't all that good!

Top Starting Pitcher
Mike MacRobb
Portland signed MacRobb on the cheap to start the season and he turned in a fine campaign before an injury sidlined him for the final 6 weeks of the season. MacRobb led the starters with a 2.0 WAR, going 6-8 overall on the season with a respectable 4.19 ERA. He struck out 81 batters over 111.2 innings pitched. So yes, our top starting pitcher threw LESS innings than our top reliever.

Top Hitter
Pedro Bustamante
Bustamante still isn't the player we had hoped we were signing in 2054, but he did have a solid year in 2055 in the run production department. Old heads will love his 29 homeruns and 103 RBI along with a solid .820 OPS. His 1.8 WAR isn't stellar mainly due to playing below average defense in the corner outfield. He didn't lead the team in offensive WAR, but considering he led the team in hits, homeruns, RBI, OPS, doubles, and runs scored..... I could not NOT go with Bustamante as our top hitter.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50