Hold My Log - 55.06 - Free Agent Popularity Contest

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

Hold My Log - 55.06 - Free Agent Popularity Contest

Post by 7teen » Sat May 27, 2023 8:28 am

After years of signing high profile, big ticket free agents during the off-season, it appears the Portland front office is trying a new tactic this off-season. With ranging amounts of money to spend week to week, GM Chris Wilson and AGM Kate Fiscus have adopted a unique strategy to get the team back to winning ways and fans in the seats.

"Sign players people love" said Wilson of the team's strategy. "We're bringing in guys people want to see play the game. Yes, popular players!"

That does seem to be about the only way to make sense of some of the moves the team has made this off-season. The team signed 29 year old pitcher Nolan Lee last month, not only to fill the bullpen was a mediocre arm who spent all of 2054 in AAA, but to add butts to seats as Lee is a very popular player in fans' eyes. Perhaps it's because he hails from Wilson's home state of Virginia. Adam Barber is another arm in a similar mold of Lee. Barber spent some of last season being dreadful in Phoenix and Tokyo of the GBC, but has come to Portland now as a player fans love. Perhaps it's his nickname "Flying Frenchy". Granted, one would think he's not the most famous "Flying Frenchy" in the league.

And then this past week, Portland added a middle infielder to the fold of Jose Sanchez. Sanchez is another popular player who had some great success in New Orleans earlier in his career but struggled in 2054.

The strategy of signing some popular guys has paid off. "Our fan interest has jumped tremendously in recent week" added Kate Fiscus. "League reports now show Portland as the 11th most fan interested team with a 94 FI rating. We have a few other things in mind to try and get that to 100 before the season starts. Whether it be with some more moves or if I have to get creative. One way or another, we'll have a 100% rating by the start of the season and hopefully see ticket sales through the roof in 2055."

So this could mean Portland still has one or two more fan popular players to sign. Or perhaps, a new marketing campaign for "Kate's Kookies".
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

neugey
Ex-GM

Re: Hold My Log - 55.06 - Free Agent Popularity Contest

Post by neugey » Sat May 27, 2023 8:42 am

I tried it for a while, but I've been growing tired of the fan interest/popularity battle. Just looking for value as of late.

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Portland Lumberjacks”