We Got Wood - 40.21 - Portland Winning Games!

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

We Got Wood - 40.21 - Portland Winning Games!

Post by 7teen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:36 am

Things are starting to look up in Portland. After an opening month that showed the league they were an expansion team after all with a 6-21 record, the Lumberjacks have gotten it together a little bit as the calendar turned to May and have put up a respectable 7-8 month thus far. After a 4-game losing streak that started off early in the month, the Lumberjacks haven't lost consecutive games since. The club is even 6-4 over it's last 10 games played, a record they haven't had over a stretch of 10-games at any point early in this inaugural season.

Mick Heating Up
After a slow month of April where Lumberjacks GM Chris Wilson was catching some heat over taking his former Wolves players,Jon Mick has picked it up in May. Mick has taken the team lead in WAR at 0.8 and in OPS with a .912 mark. His 9 homeruns and 24 RBI are both second on the team behind Hedde Veenman and Bing-zhang Kim respectively. Mick, who hasn't been very happy over joining the expansion club, talked about things after the club's 8-5 win over San Fernando in which he went 1-3 with a homerun. "I'm not happy about being here" said Mick. "I think most people know that. I feel like I'm a better player and a good enough hitter to be doing things on a larger scene, not out here on an expansion team. But with that said, I'm going to give it my all to help this team win. Clearly people hold my contract against me, but it is what it is." While Mick isn't happy about being in Portland, fans are excited to see him and are beginning the countdown watch to his 2,000th career hit and 1,500th career RBI.

Portland Has an Ace?
At the start of the season, Ghi-cheng Kum just wanted to make the opening day roster for the Lumberjacks. After two sub-par years in Des Moines, Kum probably wondered how long his BBA career was going to last. After a month and a half of the 2040 season, Kum has turned into a Lumberjacks legend and a must see at this point in the season. Why? "He's turned into the ace of the staff and a must see start" said Lumberjacks manager Tarafah bin Bahir. Thanks to six consecutive wins in 6 consecutive starts, fans are starting to view Kum as a bona-fide ace of the staff. Despite starts that don't exactly support it, the record thus far does and Kum is enjoying the moment. "I'm not this good" said Kum with a laugh. "I've been very lucky over this stretch. But hey, as they say, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good."

Lucky could be a good word to use. In his last start, an 8-5 win over San Fernando, Kum allowed 3 runs on 6 hits and 6 walks over 6 innings pitched. Fortunately, his offense gave him enough support and he got the win. Kum has turned into the definition of a "quality starter" at this point in the season. He has 5 quality starts in his 8 this season. He's allowed 3 runs in 4 of his 8 starts. Twice he allowed fewer than 3 but failed to make it to the 6th. And only once has he allowed 4 runs. Thus far, he's 6-0 with a 3.68 ERA and 1.34 WHIP.

Record Crowd Watches Home Team Win
The Lumberjacks haven't been blessed with large crowds to this point. Case in point, less than 19,000 fans came to watch the Lumberjacks play Twin Cities last week. And that was total, for the series. Both games had fewer than 10,000 witnesses. But that wasn't the case for the Lumberjacks first ever home series against their closest neighbor to the North in Seattle. The third and final game of the series, an 8-2 Win by Portland over the Storm saw the largest crowd to date for a Portland home game as 39,938 fans showed up to watch the Titanic Struggle. The crowd was just 62 fans shy of a sell-out. In fact, each game of the 3 game series saw over 36,000 fans each. Portland owner David Wallace commented on the crowd. "We are hoping this becomes the norm here very soon. We know a lot of the fans came South from Seattle to watch the team but the electricity in the air here was fabulous. Knowing these two teams are only separated by a 2-3 hour drive should make for some packed houses for many more seasons to come."

The Lumberjacks still rank next to last in total attendance. This series accounted for 25% of their total attendance on the season.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

bschr682
Ex-GM

Re: We Got Wood - 40.21 - Portland Winning Games!

Post by bschr682 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Cool.
GM Vancouver Mounties

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Portland Lumberjacks”